 |
The covered bridge in Lovech |
 |
This is the only covered bridge on the Balkans. The Bulgarian architect
Kolyu Ficheto built the bridge over the Osam River in 1872 at
craftsman Ismail’s request. Every inhabitant had to help in the
construction and there was a payment to be made by the wealthy men.
First the bridge was made from wood. It was 84 m long and had 6
openings and 64 small shops. Kolyu Ficheto himself made of stone
three figures – a lion, symbolizing Bulgaria, an eagle, symbolizing
Russia and a female torso representing the fertility. On August 2, 1925
the covered bridge burnt out. Today’s bridge was reconstructed after
the design of architect Zlatev, who kept the support structure and the
floor of the old one. Its exterior looks like the bridge of Kolyu Ficheto.
Today it is 106 m long and there are 14 small shops in it. The covered
bridge is the connection of the new part of the town and Varosha - the
old one.
|