 |
Celebration of Plovdiv University 'Paisii Hilendarski' |
 |
On July 1, 1961 the Higher Pedagogical Institute of natural sciences for training teachers in mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology was founded in Plovdiv, by Decree № 264 of the Presidium of the National Assembly. The same month the Minister of Education appointed for Rector of the new institute (during the first years it adopted the name Higher Institute for Mathematics and Natural Sciences, and later - the official name HPI) prof. Zhivko Lambrev and for his vice - associate prof. Todor Vasilev. For the first time in 1970 new faculties were formed in the structure of the Institute - Faculty of Mathematics (dean Assoc. Prof. Ivan Raichinov) and the Natural Science Faculty (dean prof. Mladen Genchev). On January 12, 1972 by Decree № 24 of the State Council the Institute was converted to Plovdiv University. The first sod of the central university building was made in 1914. The building was officially founded in 1921 for the needs of the French college St. Augustin. Today this building is the main building of the Plovdiv University and part of its faculties are here - the Philology Faculty, the Physics Faculty, the Legal Faculty
and the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences. In 1966, based
on a proposal from the Academic Council of the National Assembly
for patron of the Plovdiv Institute is proposed the first Bulgarian writer
of the Bulgarian national revival- Paisii Hilendarski. (Text / Photo:
https://uni-plovdiv.bg)
|